Friday, July 5, 2013

I Can See Clearly Now

    I have been pretty busy since my last post here.  I have gone back to school and have prepared for a move to Athens, Ga.  Despite being almost too busy to write I have kept up with my soul searching, healing, and volunteering.  The more I continue on this path, the more I continue to come out of the darkness of my old life and into the light of this new life I have found.  As a storyteller and funny guy I have landed on the term "glutton in recovery" and find that it truly does fit perfectly with this new life.  
          Since my introduction here, I have been focusing on finally finishing my degree.  I have been trying to accomplish this on and off for twenty one years now.  The difference this time is that I finally have some direction on where I want my life to go and little by little I am figuring out what I have to do to get there.  I have also learned over the last two years that nothing happens by accident.  I decided to retake classes this summer that I have already taken to relearn subjects I really needed to know as well as work on my GPA.  The focus of my Comp 2 class is a research paper that revolves around a subject the professor picks.  Funny enough, the subject is on food, industrial farming, gmo seeds and the like.  I literally almost fell out my chair on the first day, having just started the Southern Growth project less than a month before.  Like I said nothing happens on accident.  There are definitely larger things at work here.  This research has led to furthering my interests in becoming healthier, becoming more involved in my community, and learning more and more about what I want my own future to look like.
          Now that I am a few twenty four hours away from any intoxicant and have stepped back from the life of constantly wanting more, I can now, for the first time see clearly.  My ideas of success are much simpler and a lot more attainable.  I know now, more than ever, I can play a part in my community and help to make it a healthy place.  This in turn, heals my soul in ways I cannot explain even if I tried.  SO, as I prepare for this move to Athens, Ga, I realize that small southern living is really what I want for my life.  There could not be a better place for me to achieve this life I have ultimately wanted for so long. Being a college town keeps it educated, young, forward thinking.  There is a constant flow of music and art, which, I have been deprived of living here in cookie cutter hell.  I am also realizing there are quite a few people my age, with the same interests, residing in Athens or close by, and that makes me feel more than hopeful for the future.  Despite being from the south, I was not raised in the typical southern house hold and do not share in many of the values taught here.  Finding people that love southern culture of an educated variety lets me know I am on the right path.  I cannot wait for this new adventure and where it will lead!


Buy Used Buy Local

No comments:

Post a Comment